While there are a growing number of collaborations, dialogues, and initiatives designed to increase Southern solidarity and mutual learning for the promotion of durable peace and inclusive development, the visibility of these efforts is limited. As a result, the availability and quality of information on the scale and impact of these activities has not kept pace with the growing demand among Southern partners for peer-to-peer exchange to improve peace and development results.
As a first step in bringing this conversation to the fore – and in the context of the 2018 Global South-South Development Expo – UNOSSC’s Peace and Development Programme will be organising two events which aim to highlight the role of South-South and Triangular cooperation in achieving peace and development objectives.
Peace Solution Forum
29 November 2018, 9:00am–10:20am
United Nations Headquarters, CR1
This forum will provide an opportunity to showcase Southern-led effective experiences in conflict prevention, peacemaking and conflict transformation, reflect on lessons learnt and provide concrete policy recommendations to create contexts of more peace, dignity and justice for all. It will be a good chance to put forward innovative ideas for South-South Cooperation in peace, development and human security in preparation to the “Second High-Level United Nations Conference on South-South Cooperation”(BAPA + 40, Buenos Aires, March 2019).
- Ms. Angela Ospina, Director APC Colombia (Agencia Presidencial de Cooperación Internacional de Colombia)
- H.E. Mr. Mahmoud AL-MULLA KHALF, Ambassador, Permanent Delegate of Iraq to UNESCO and Chairman of G77 and China (Paris)
- Mr. Patrice Chiwota, Senior Programme Advisor, UN- Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO)
- Mr. Ryutaro Murotani, Deputy Head, Office for Global Issues and Development Partnership Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
- Mr. Rasyid Mahmuddin, Deputy Director, INGOs and South-South Cooperation Division, Directorate General of Multilateral Cooperation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia
- Ms. Manuela Viana Trindade, Researcher BRICS Policy Center, Global South Unit for Mediation
- Mr. Igor Cvetkovski, Programme Officer, International Organization for Migration (IOM), Land, Property and Reparations team
Side-Event: “The Case of South-South Cooperation for Peace and Development”
30 November 2018
12 PM – 1:15 PM
Conference Room 11, UN HQ
Through presentation and open debate, this event will provide a space to share evidence on the relevance and emerging characteristics of South-South Cooperation for peace and development. Participants will be able to reflect on the challenges and opportunities provided by South-South and Triangular cooperation as modalities. To frame the discussion, speakers will present the initial findings of three independent research projects that are currently underway:
- The Case of South-South Cooperation for Peace and Development: a research paper developed by the Global South Unit for Mediation of the BRICS Policy Centre (Brazil) and the Global South Thinkers on Peace and Development;
- Initial Mapping of South-South Cooperation Experiences – Meta-analysis from the South-South in Action Series and Other Publications of UNOSSC and Partners (2016-2018): draft paper with case studies from Argentina, Bangladesh, the Central African Republic, Colombia, Croatia, South Sudan, the g7+ and its modality of Fragile-to-Fragile cooperation (F2F), the Union of the Mediterranean, the United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (UNESCO) and others;
- Independent Report on South-South Cooperation: presentation by Timothy Shaw, Member of the Advisory Board of the Independent Report on South-South Cooperation, Faculty Fellow, Department of Conflict Resolution, Human Security, and Global Governance, McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies, University of Massachusetts Boston.
Both events will support analysis and deliberation for representatives of Member States, United Nations agencies, think tanks, academia, donors, civil society organizations and other relevant actors committed to promoting Southern solidarity and cooperation to achieve a world of peace and inclusive development for all.
For further information on these events, contact the Senior Adviser on Peace & Development, Cecilia Milesi (email@example.com) cc’ing Lauren Hess (firstname.lastname@example.org). For further information on how to register for the 2018 Global South-South Expo, visit the official website here: http://www.expo.unsouthsouth.org